Fall is in the air! Temperatures are dropping and days are becoming shorter. What better way to welcome in the season than with a delicious Fall cooking staple? The wonderful, nutrient packed apple! Baked apple desserts are undeniably yummy, and they require relatively little prep work. This is a great choice of activity for individuals who have cooking experience, as it may conjure up fond memories of being in the kitchen. Make an effort to reminisce with the person throughout the task. Even individuals without a cooking background will surely enjoy the enticing smells of apples baking alongside aromatic cinnamon and vanilla (these recipes will make your whole house smell amazing).
Try this recipe or make modifications to suit your tastes.
- Choose a variety of apple that is ideal for baking, such as Granny Smith, Honeycrisp or Fuji. Any firm, non-mealy apple will do.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel, core, and slice 6 apples. This process can be simplified and expedited with an inexpensive apple peeler.
- Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Mix 2 tbs brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1tsp nutmeg, and 3 tsp ground cinnamon in a bowl.
- Layer 1/3 apple slices in greased baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the sugar mixture. Repeat twice.
- Bake apples uncovered for 30 minutes, then add 3 1/2 tbs water to the dish. Bake 15 minutes more or until tender.
Or, try the less prep intensive microwaved version
- Peel (or don’t), core, and slice 1 apple.
- Place apple slices in a freezer bag with 1 tsb sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cornstarch, and 1tbs water. Shake the freezer bag to coat apple slices with mixture.
- Open the freezer bag just slightly to vent. Microwave for 2 minutes or until apple is tender.
- CAREFULLY remove apple slices from microwaved bag. Enjoy plain or over vanilla ice cream.
Want to mix it up? Opt for baked apple chips. These could not be simpler to make.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Remove apple core from 2 apples.
- Thinly slice apples (Be mindful of safety and consider who is best to do this).
- Place apple slices on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle apples with cinnamon and bake for 2 hours. Flip slices over after 1 hour of baking.